Do you feel intimated by other guys at the gym?
As a counselor, I can tell you this is a theme that pops up in the counselor office frequently. The question people want to know is: How can I stop comparing myself to others so that I can focus on me?
In this podcast, we take a hard look at this issue and how it impacts people with an eye towards men. We also assess the role of automatic negative thoughts and thinking distortions as part of the dynamic.
Imagine what it would be like to exercise, lose weight, build muscle, and focus on you without playing the toxic game of comparisons?
If you are in a place of wanting to exercise at a gym but are too intimated to do it because you feel weird working out around other guys that are bigger than you, listening to this podcast is a must.
Adopting a new mindset when going to the gym is possible but will require that you look inward and make some adjustments to your thinking.
- The visual aspect of men.
- The struggle of body image issues.
- How the triad of self-esteem, self-worth, and body image go together.
- How body image issues derail highly desired goals.
- Exploring motivations for going to the gym.
- Assessing why vanity can be a good gym motivator.
- Creating positive affirmations to move through fears.
- Developing a sense of self-compassion.
- Remembering not everyone who works out is a bodybuilder.
- How mindful muscle building fights back against negative thinking.
- Learning how to feel the burn of the exercise.
- How consistency builds confidence and results.
- The real secret behind an amazing physique.
- Creating the right expectations for your body and the gift of patience.
- How to challenge ANT’s.
Resources/People/Places Mentioned In Podcast
Automatic Negative Thoughts Worksheet (Therapist Aid)