Men with PTSD – A Closer Look
Are you a man with PTSD? Do you think you’ve suffered some type of trauma? Wondering what you can do about it? If the answer is yes, you wouldn’t be alone.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, also known as PTSD, is a serious trauma disorder that impacts millions of people each year, according to some estimates.
While women tend to be diagnosed with trauma disorders at a higher rate than guys, there’s lots of data to suggest that incidents of PTSD are vastly underreported.
In the case of men, there has been a historical struggle with talking about the effects of trauma on their lives. There are several reasons for this that mostly relate to cultural and societal causes.
In this podcast, Dr. John Moore walks listeners through the basics of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in detail. A working definition of this mental health challenge is given in an easy to understand, straightforward way.
- A basic definition of PTSD synthesized from the DSM-5.
- A discussion about why trauma can be so insidious in a person’s life.
- How unhealthy coping strategies are formed.
- An assessment of possible causes of PTSD and the myth that this type of trauma only happens to men in the military.
- The true story of “Adam” – a former combat veteran who had a severe case of PTSD.
- The role of the conscious and subconscious mind and traumatic events.
- Steps for working through trauma.
- What to look for in a helper when reaching out for support.
- Why cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) or one of its offshoots, like ACT and DBT can be helpful.
- A quick discussion of coping strategies, including the Emotional Freedom Techniques (tapping).
- An exploration about why getting support is so important to the healing process.
- Why you shouldn’t hand over your metaphorical wheel to shame.
- Email from a listener who just graduated from college and unsure what to do with his career.
- A quick overview of the Career Profiler and how it can be used to identify your career personality type.
RESOURCES/PEOPLE/PLACES MENTIONED IN PODCAST
This podcast was recorded in Chicago, Illinois, USA. Please leave a review on iTunes or wherever you may listen. Your reviews keep me motivated to continue producing these shows.
I’d love to hear your show ideas.
Thanks for stopping by Guy Counseling!